Wednesday, January 28, 2009

come again?

monday i went to see the dr.-a regular checkup you know. the entire pregnancy my dr. was worried that i wasn't gaining enough weight. imagine my surprise when i stepped on the scale i realized i had gained 15 lbs.! yes, you read right-15 lbs. this was the conversation when the dr. came in the room.

dr: hi melina. how are you?
me: good.
dr: so i see you've gained some weight. what are you eating?
me: oh, you know-everything.
dr: you've gained 15 lbs. since your last appt.
me: yeah, i know.
dr: what about carbs? oh...you're samoan, right?
me: why, yes, i am samoan.
dr: yeah, you like to eat lots of carbs.

needless to say, looks like i'll have to cut back on the sweets. sorry, johanna-i was going to put forth a better effort with the oreos.

9 comments:

Christine said...

What the what? Why would he say you eat lots of carbs because you're Samoan? Hello, America eats a lot of carbs, that's why the Atkins fad died out, we couldn't hack it :) I say you bring a big fluffy cake next time and plant it in his face.

Lamese "Mese" Ugapo II said...

Carbs are fun. So are proteins, starches and vegetebles. Food is fun.

{Erica} said...

k wow...if the doctor said that to me (the whole "you're Samoan" comment) here's what I would've said (substituting Samoan with Tahitian - cause well...that's what I am :D)

Doctor:You're Tahaitian right?

Erica: Yeah...

Doctor:Yeah you like to eat carbs

Erica:I also like to give swift kicks to the groin with my massive muscular poly calves!!!

Pattersons said...

he he he! you're so funny erica! i can't think that quickly:) i was just thinking...yes, i like to eat carbs:) they make me happy. but your response would've been much better:)

{Erica} said...

p.s. after reading my response above I have to clarify when I refer to the massive muscular poly calves I was talking about MY calves. I have yet to check out your calves, but I think it's safe to say my calves could hold their own (have you seen them...?)

:D

Pattersons said...

oh you weren't off when you said massive poly calves(referring to mine) i just wish mine were more muscular:)

The Expatts said...

haha, I can't believe he said that... but seriously keep enjoying the oreos-- one can never have too many no matter WHAT your dr. may think later :)

Carrie-kins said...

you can add my massive poly calves to that list-and yes i show 'em off proudly.if ppl were deserted on an island we'd all survive on just half of one of mine.tell you doc to eat that:)

Lynn said...

well, i'm glad he said that at least so we could all read about it and get a chuckle. shocking but i love erica's response.

you failed to give us a racial and physical breakdown of the doc so we can visualize the scene.

how about "you're pregnant right?" "yah" "yeah, you like to eat carbs"

i'm pretty sure that craving doesn't discriminate. at least that's what the 59 and 58 pounds I gained with my kids told me.