Monday, August 25, 2008

first grade, good/school at home, not so good

mese started out the first day of first grade with delicious pancakes and sausages(thanks mason). he was anxious to get going and get gone but we had to take a pic. and so we did. i did fine all the way up until his teacher put a lei around his neck and said"mese, welcome to first grade!" i almost had to run out, i could feel the tears swelling up. i made him his lunch(with a notecard in the shape of an m&m) he told me later how excited he was when he saw the card because he thought it was a cd! sorry big guy-just a note from your mama who loves you. so, first day was good.
now, school at home with sila also started today. she did fine writing her name but writing the letter "A" was a challenge. she gave up before she even started and said,"i can't, i can't, i can't do it!" i tried to show her several times how easy it was but she wasn't having it, and after a minute or two of the crying, i wasn't having it either. we came to a mutual agreement that we should try school another day. i'm going to try some different things with her-any suggestions?

7 comments:

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

First Grade Already?!! It goes by fast! I remember not being able to write my E's. Don't worry, by the end of first grade I had it down!!:)

karoline ainuu said...

let her work on it by herself and watch her progress. sila is very independent and pls give her credit for trying

Carrie-kins said...

aw-sila will get it-she a smart girly.i can't believe mese's so grown.soon it'll be nani.i luv those kids.

ME ;) said...

I can't believe Mese is so grown! I really like the picture its cute. Uh Keiana and Sila are the same age and I got these pre-K workbooks from Costco-- she loves them! She will do a few pages from them each day- but they keep her more occupied than any thing I come up with. Their funner too cuz they have different ways and activies to help them learn. They look exactly like the homework they bring home in Kidergarden.Luv You!

Vivian Campbell said...

You are so creative with your kids! Good Job!
And no, i don'y have any suggestions, sorry.

Christine said...

I love that picture! I bet he loved school.
I seem to remember some friends last year talking about teaching their preschoolers things like letters and writing their name and they both had really good things to say about this one book, I think it was called "Learn to read in 100 easy lessons" or something. I'll try to look it up. THey said it was painless and effective :)

Christine said...

I think this is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985